New Check Point 21400 Appliance delivers industry-leading performance, optimizing software blade protections for large enterprises and data centres
CALGARY, AB – September 7, 2011…Check Point® Software Technologies Ltd. (Nasdaq: CHKP), the worldwide leader in securing the Internet, today announced the launch of its new 21400 Appliance that combines high-speed networking technologies with lightning fast firewall throughput of up to 100 Gbps and IPS throughput of up to 21 Gbps (default profile). The Check Point 21400 is designed to optimize a full range of software blade protections, providing large enterprises and data centres with industry-leading security and performance.
Check Point also introduced today R75.20, a new Software Blades release, the Check Point 61000 Security System, a new carrier-grade security solution and the industry’s fastest security gateway, and SecurityPower™, a new metric for security performance. The new metric allows customers to estimate their security needs and compare it to the SecurityPower Units (SPU) rating of each security solution.
Today’s enterprise gateways go beyond the firewall, often integrating multiple technologies to meet expanding security needs. For the majority of businesses, mobile computing, Web 2.0, cloud security and the barrage of sophisticated Internet threats and destructive malware, have created greater strain on the network – requiring more security, bandwidth and extensive processing power.
For IT administrators, measuring raw throughput (Gbps) of a security device rarely indicates its behavior in a real-world environment using different security technologies to protect the network. To address that problem, Check Point is introducing SecurityPower™ – a new metric for security performance that can be used to estimate the performance needed in various customer scenarios. For example, activating Firewall and IPS for a 400 Mbps network link would require 265 SecurityPower Units (SPUs) – whereas a larger environment with a 1,000 Mbps requirement with Firewall, IPS and Antivirus activated will require as much as 1,003 SPUs. Customers can utilize these values and compare them with the SecurityPower rating (SPU) of any appliance – enabling them to choose a gateway that meets their exact needs with enough power and room for future growth.
“Check Point has created a unique benchmark for the way businesses should be measuring security performance,” said Chris Christiansen, vice president, Security Products and Services at IDC Research. “SecurityPower gives companies a clearer picture of how to measure performance needs in hardware, with the security needs from the software. It’s a smart and insightful concept that will help businesses better plan for future capacity and spend on security.”
With the SecurityPower measurement in mind, Check Point is introducing its new data centre appliance, the Check Point 21400. Built from the ground up, the 21400 is designed to optimize a full range of software blades – providing large enterprises and data centres with the next-generation platform to build their 3D Security blueprint. The Check Point 21400 has an SPU rating of 2,900, the highest performance and SPU ranking available for a 2U hardware design. Check Point 21400 also features a new design with a security acceleration card that is optimized to deliver protection in low-latency, transaction-oriented environments and boost performance to 100 Gbps.
“The evolution of Internet threats has inspired us to think differently about security. In real-world customer environments, the capacity of appliances to perform multiple advanced security functions is as important as throughput,” said Paul Comessotti, Check Point’s Canadian Regional Director. “Our new appliance is customized to expand on security functionality, while increasing performance and traffic volume – executing on our vision of delivering the highest level of security to environments of any size.”
The 21400 Appliance leverages Check Point’s award-winning Software Blade Architecture™ that enables organizations to scale their security platform to meet current and future requirements, without compromising network speeds. Customers can consolidate any combination of protections, including: Firewall, VPN, IPS, Application Control, Mobile Access, Data Loss Prevention, Identity Awareness, URL Filtering, Anti-spam, Antivirus, Advanced Networking, and Acceleration & Clustering, on a single, multi-function gateway. With Check Point’s multi-core and acceleration technologies, the 21400 brings customers triple firewall throughput between 50 to 100 Gbps and record IPS throughput. The 21400 boasts a SecurityPower rating of 2,900 SPUs – helping businesses maximize security, while optimizing performance.
Key features of the Check Point 21400 Appliance:
- Maximum Security and Performance – Offers maximum security and availability of business-critical applications, with up to 100 Gbps of firewall throughput and IPS throughput of up to 21 Gbps (default profile).
- High Port Density – Includes high port density of up to 37 ports or 12 10GbE ports and enables customers to easily secure highly-segmented network environments.
- Optimized for low latency – Optional security acceleration card optimizes dataflow for low-latency, transaction-oriented environments and boosts raw bandwidth to 100 Gbps (optional and available in 2012).
- Optimized for Software Blades Architecture – Packaged with 12 software blades to provide a turn-key security solution for quick deployment, including: Firewall, VPN, Intrusion Prevention, Identity Awareness, Advanced Networking, Acceleration & Clustering, Mobile Access for 5 concurrent users, Application Control, URL Filtering, Anti-Virus & Anti-Malware, Anti-Spam & Email Security and Data Loss Prevention. Customers can extend their protection further, selecting from a family of over 30 Check Point software blades that span across network security, endpoint security and security management.
- High Availability and Serviceability – Equipped with hot-swappable redundant power supplies, offering carrier-grade serviceability and business continuity.
- Simple Deployment and Management – Offers local management with optional Web-based administration or central management capabilities to ensure quick, easy and secure administration from anywhere in the network.
“At Check Point, we understand that security is constantly evolving in a complex threat landscape. The new 21400 Appliance enables customers with demanding data centre environments to benefit from integrated next-generation security solutions with the power, extensibility and cost effectiveness of our Software Blade Architecture,” concluded Comessotti.
The 21400 Appliance is available immediately. For more information on product functionality and specifications, please visit: http://www.checkpoint.com/products/21400-appliances/