Through Proposed Acquisition, McAfee Extends Its Mobile Market Leadership And Expands Addressable Endpoint Market
MARKHAM, ON – May 25, 2010 – McAfee, Inc. (NYSE:MFE) today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately owned Trust Digital. Trust Digital is a leading technology provider of enterprise mobility management and security software targeting Global 2000 companies and is deployed by a growing number of businesses to deliver mission critical data to the point of service using Apple iPhones and iPads. McAfee expects that Trust Digital’s strong foot-hold in the mobile security market will extend McAfee’s endpoint market, addressing a wide range of mobile operating systems including iPhone OS, Android, Web OS, Windows Mobile, and Symbian.
IT organizations rely on Trust Digital to secure, rapidly deploy and centrally manage smartphones, as well as a new generation of always-available line of business applications and services. Following the completion of this proposed acquisition, McAfee(R) expects to couple Trust Digital’s enterprise mobility management solution with McAfee’s endpoint protection capabilities to deliver the industry’s first comprehensive mobile security solution. Customers will benefit from centralized management and reporting of the integrated technologies through the McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator(R) (ePO(TM)) console.
With the proliferation of smartphones in the enterprise, paired with an increase in demand for real-time access to information via these devices, the ability to manage and support security policy that enables productivity is a significant priority for CIOs today. Rapid adoption of smartphones has changed how users in industries like healthcare, pharmaceutical and financial services work. Secure, immediate access to critical information on mobile applications is a core component enabling a productive workforce. Enterprises want to increase revenues, profits and productivity through empowering their workforce, without compromising their security.
The proposed transaction will bring together best-in-class technologies:
- Building on its established global leadership in mobile security, Trust Digital will enable McAfee to further establish itself as the leader in Enterprise Smartphone Security by extending ePO, data protection and NAC/FW to Smartphones through Trust Digital’s Policy and Compliance Management. The integration of Trust Digital’s policy and device management into ePO will allow complete endpoint protection for customers.
- Extending its endpoint share from the 180 million mobile devices loaded with McAfee mobile security today, Trust Digital’s strong foot-hold in the mobile security market will help McAfee expand its addressable endpoint market, focusing on a wide range of mobile operating systems including iPhone OS, Android, Web OS, Windows Mobile and Symbian.
- Combining the skills and resources of both companies, McAfee plans to develop and deliver scalable solutions through global partnerships that will enable mobile operators to deliver security and device management to enterprise, consumers and SMBs.
- The combination of advanced end-point management and security is expected to eliminate operational expense by simplifying how IT and operator administrators implement policies, assist users and enforce compliance for mobile applications across the enterprise.
- With Trust Digital’s enterprise mobility management technology, McAfee will enable IT and operators to secure and manage a truly diverse smartphone environment through a common management approach.
“The acquisition of Trust Digital’s industry-leading enterprise mobility management solutions will extend the current McAfee security portfolio beyond the traditional endpoint, addressing the rapidly expanding mobile security market,” said Dave DeWalt, president and chief executive officer, McAfee. “Once completed, Trust Digital’s industry leading enterprise mobility management solutions combined with leading McAfee antivirus, antispyware, host intrusion prevention, policy auditing and firewall technologies, will enable McAfee to address the mobile workforce by mitigating the risks associated with vulnerable or malicious mobile applications downloaded by employees. Through this acquisition, we believe McAfee can expand its reach into new markets, secure new platforms and strengthen its leadership position.”
Trust Digital’s enterprise mobility management for smartphones provides a Web services platform to manage and secure smartphones and mobile tablet devices regardless of device manufacturer. This robust management platform addresses the nuances of smartphone technology while also providing tools similar to those used by IT to manage and secure laptops and desktops.
“Business users are thrilled by the capabilities of iPhones, smartphones and tablets and are quickly adopting them as their handheld computers, but their IT counterparts must now find tools to effectively secure and manage them,” said Mark Shull, chief executive officer, Trust Digital. “The integration of Trust Digital with McAfee will enable enterprises to rapidly deploy new mobility devices such as smartphones across diverse mobile environments cost effectively and with the highest level of security. Together, we will enable IT to say yes to the iPhone and Android.”
The acquisition is expected to close by June 30 of 2010. For additional information, please reference the acquisition landing page at www.mcafee.com